Posts Tagged ‘chicken tractor’

As you may or may not know, one of our chickens was eaten by a fox who probably jumped into their uncovered enclosure from a tree branch. We kept them in their tractor for awhile and then thought about letting them out again, but our dad was worried about the hawk who frequents our yard in the winter.

We decided that we needed to make a covered enclosure. We also decided that the easiest way to make this light, quick, and detachable was to make it out of PVC pipe and chicken wire.

The dimensions of their little pen are much smaller than the last enclosure we had, but it’s a lot easier to move and it’s safer. And since it’s easier to move, we’ll be moving the coop along with the pen more frequently so they’ll always have fresh places to scratch and fresh greens to eat.

There is a door into the pen for when we need to feed and water them. It’s constructed of another PVC pipe section. The whole contraption is connected to the chicken coop with tiny bungee cords.

This fix will only be necessary in the winter months when hawks and foxes come into our backyard for food, but it’s still good to have it. It can easily be taken completely apart and stored with each panel side by side next to a wall in our garage. Today our chickens were out in it a lot!

Today there was a lot going on in our family. Dink took his SAT’s in the morning while me and my dad were helping our neighbors move. They’ve been loading things up into a U-Haul truck since about Wednesday, and the truck we helped fill up isn’t the last. They still have to fill up at least one more after today’s of furniture. Obviously, they had a lot of stuff in their house.

Then, after we were done helping our neighbors move, our dad’s brother (who is an electrician) came over and fixed our electric panel, which was slightly messed up. Also, most of the power upstairs was out, but when he fixed the panel, the power went back on upstairs. I suppose one of breakers had a problem, and when it was replaced, it was fixed.

After our dad’s brother left, we continued work on the chicken tractor, and got pretty much done. We finished the door that leads into the run, so now we have to hang it. When we hang it, we can get into the run (assuming we’ll ever need to). We also put hardware cloth around half of it, but then we ran out of it, so we put on both wheels and the electric box. Tomorrow, we just have to put hardware cloth around the rest of the run, and we can finally let the chickens out!

(We finished on Sunday and the video is the chickens’ first day out. They had a great time!)

by John

This past week we’ve spent a lot of time staining the chicken tractor, and we have that done now. We also moved it before we stained it, partly so that we wouldn’t get stain in our garage, but also to see how hard moving it would be. A rather crucial board was torn off in the back of the tractor in the process of moving it, but we already have that fixed, and besides a few minor details, we’re basically done, so we went ahead and got our chickens.

We got six Red Comet chickens, which are a mix between a Rhode Island Red (or New Hampshire) rooster and a Barred Rock hen (It’s important for the Rhode Island Red to be a rooster and the Barred Rock to be a hen.) They are actually really cute. We thankfully found a nearby farmer who had a lot of chickens just ready to begin laying and that’s exactly what we wanted. They were a little jittery, not only because of the intense car ride home, but because a fox had gotten one of their fellow chickens this morning. Hopefully, they’ll forget about that in a while. Right now, they seem to be very happy and comfortable in their new home.

With any luck, our new chickens will be busy laying eggs and hopefully we won’t have to be buying eggs anymore. Tomorrow we’re going to aim to finish the tractor 100%, so look for some more videos and pictures!

by John and Dink

Chicken Tractor Video Update

Posted: May 13, 2014 in Videos

We made a video of the progress on the chicken tractor, so there’s really nothing to say in this article. Hopefully, the next time you see the chicken coop, it’ll have chickens in it!

Today was about 65 degrees in our area, which feels really warm. Our mom’s snowdrops are in bloom and we’ve also seen some buds on certain plants, like our blueberry bushes. Spring is coming! Speaking of our blueberry bushes, we spent a while outside cleaning up the dirt around them so that we’d get the best berries that we can this year. Did you know that for fruit trees/bushes, you should clean the sod away for the best results? We also mulch heavily after cleaning up the ground and this keeps it tidy for many years before we have to do it again. This year was our year to clean and mulch.

Since we were already outside we decided to spend the whole day outside. We proceeded to work on the chicken tractor, which we did for the next four hours. We mainly worked on the fourth wall, which is a little bit more confusing because there are egg boxes hanging out of it, but we got it mostly finished.

It’s been a long time since we did a chicken tractor update, so I’ll say what we did. We nailed sheeting onto the three walls we had framed and then we put them up. We planned how the wheel was going to go on, and then we started to plan the fourth wall. Today, we built most of it. It’s not very much work for having had a couple of months to work on it, but it got really cold so our work was delayed. Plus, we aren’t working with pre-planned instructions so figuring out what to do next and how to do it takes a lot of time

It seems like spring might be approaching – to us. Then again, this warm weather could just be due to global warming 🙂

by John